Poets in Nigeria (PIN) is delighted to announce the longlist for the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize 2016 which was declared open to submissions on 15th January, 2016 amidst positive reactions. Upon closure, entries numbering 400 were received from students drawn from 64 tertiary institutions, viz, Federal Universities & Polytechnics, State Universities & Polytechnics, Private Universities, Colleges of Education and Seminary Schools.
Having subjected the poems received to critical examination, the Judging Panel has made available a list of top 30 poems in no particular order.
The longlisted entries are:
- A WAITRESS TINES – Akinto Tosin Aramide (Federal University of Technology, Akure)
• KPANGOLO – David Osaodion Odiase (Yaba College of Technology)
• WAR AGAINST HUMANITY – Mazpa Ekejiuba – Ejikem (University of Calabar)
• THE SUN WILL RISE AGAIN – Noah Oladele (Obafemi Awolowo University)
• “IBA” – Abraham Isaac Oluwatimilehin (Ekiti State University)
• ECHOES OF LIFE AND NATURE – Ruth Chisaram Nwosu (University of Calabar)
• RUNAWAY BRIDE – Akinlade Oluwaseyifunmi Damilola (University of Abuja)
• THE EDDIES OF TIME – Dele-Alimi Temiloluwa (University of Ibadan)
• DEDICATION TO THE WHO-IS-WHO POLITICIAN – Umukoro Othuke Isaac (University Of Ibadan)
• rain – Hauwa Shaffii Nuhu (Bayero University Kano)
• THE BATTLE FOR MY HEART – Lydia Taiwo (American University of St Vincent)
• SUNDOWN IN PORTHARCOURT – Okafor Kingsley Chisom (University of Nigeria, Nsukka)
• BLAME TRADE – Oke Emmanuel Ayomide (University of Ibadan)
• BEAUTIFUL FATHER…LOVING HUSBAND – Chinelo Nwangwu (University Of Ibadan)
• THE YOUNG MAN – Adeosun Tomiwa John (University of Ibadan)
• THE CENTRE OF THE WORLD – Chukwuemeka Nwagu (University of Nigeria, Nsukka)
• INNOCENCE – Ahmed Salihu (Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria)
• SWEET DECEIT – Oremodu Esther Oyinkansola (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife)
• A FRUITLESS TREE – Sivebukola John (University of Ibadan)
• OUR MOTHER’S PRAYER – Samuel Oluwatobi Olatunji (University of Lagos)
• THE URGE TO WRITE – Osamolu Israel (University of Ilorin)
• LETTER FROM TEEN TOWN – James Ademuyiwa (Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ojere, Abeokuta)
• JUST LIFE – Anyanwu Roseben C.N (University of Ibadan)
• RAIN UPON US – Francis Annagu (Kaduna State University)
• HAPE: BLACK ROSE 2 – Felix Chibuisi Promise (University Of Benin)
• THIS NOON – Mesioye Johnson (Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro)
• BULLETS FROM OUR MOUTH – Michael, Adaeze B. (University of Nigeria, Nsukka)
• CURSED BLESSING – Olajuwon Joseph Olumide (Yaba College of Technology)
• HER – Adebimpe Oyinkan Rebecca (University Of Ibadan)
• MY FATHER NO LONGER GOES TO WORK – Uche Ezenwa-Ohaeto (Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka)
The longlisted entries will be further assessed and narrowed down to 3 poems by the Chair of the Judging Panel. The prize winners (of ₦100,000, ₦50,000 and ₦30,000 respectively) will be announced within the month of June, 2016.
Thanks to everyone who participated and congratulations to the longlisted entrants .
Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom
Moderator, NSPP 2016
Note: Kindly endeavor to subscribe to www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng to receive regular updates on PIN’s activities, the contest and a planned awards ceremony.
…connecting poets for greatness
9 Replies to “NIGERIAN STUDENTS POETRY PRIZE 2016 – THE LONGLIST”
CONGRATULATIONS to all who made it in the lists of 30 winners. Waaaay to go PIN for this promising success to all! God bless you all young Poets of Naija!
I’m so happy to be on the list. Thanks to God. Thanks to PIN for this giant stride at rewarding Student-Poets’ Passion.
I didn’t know about pin this time. But am happy for these entrants.
I wish you all good luck…. Congratulation guys. Mennh it is not easy oooh.
Awesome! Go Lydia!!
This is interesting. I wish whoever wins more ink to his or her quill. This is a good and wonderful innovation. Good luck.
Congratulations Okafor Chisom Kingsley. I am so proud of you. Cheers! ?
Nazzz…thank you so much.
Wow, i’ve missed alot, all thanks to sir Eriata Oribhabor who dropped a link on fb which i followed and here i am, poised and ready.