Poets in Nigeria (PIN) is pleased to announce the winners for the 5th edition of PIN Annual Food Poetry Contest which opened for submissions on 13th September, 2018. 161 entries (from 128 entrants) were received and subsequently assessed based on thematic relevance, aptness of language, creativity and originality.
The winning entries are as follows:
- A LAGOS OF BURNT BOYS – Mbanefo Chibuike
- EATING A CHILD – Pamilerin Jacob
- A SUMPTUOUS TALE – Ogedengbe Tolulope Impact
- FOOD IS PEACE – Odukoya Adeniyi
- A BANQUET OF WORDS – Ogedengbe Tolulope Impact
- UTEPILS – David Holper
- A FOOD DANCE, FOR YOU MAMA – Samuel Junior Irusota
- NIGERIA ON A PLATE – Teslim Opemipo Omipidan
- OF MEMORIES WE HOLD DEAR – Oyekunle Ifeoluwa Peter
- THE POWER OF ORYZA SATIVA – Aisagbonbu Success
- GONE FOREVER – Joseph Olamide Babalola
- MOVING ALTAR – Oshafi Abdulrasak
- MEMORY FOR DINNER – Pamilerin Jacob
- HOW MY NATION MAKES HER MORSEL – Emmanuel Faith
- THE MOUTH OF A GOD NEVER FORGETS – Njoku Nonso
The selected entrants will be invited either to a lunch or a dinner at an exquisite restaurant in Lagos where they will present their poems to the audience and be awarded. The contest was judged by Bruno Ebubechukwu, Mcnaevets Chinonso Chibuzo and Veralyn Chinenye who shortlisted 15 entries, as opposed to 20 entries, due to set benchmark.
The PIN Annual Food Poetry Contest (initiated in 2013 as Eriata Oribhabor Food Poetry Contest) has produced four grand prize winners – Estrella Gada (2013), Mabel Okpaefi (2014) and Adedayo Adeyemi Agarau (2015/2016) and Adeolu Titus Adekunle (2017).
Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom
Moderator, PFPC 2018