Poets in Nigeria (PIN) is pleased to announce the shortlist for the fourth edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP). The shortlisted poems are as follows:
• AN ARTEFACT OF A GROIN WAR | Ehi-kowochio Ogwiji (University of Ibadan)
• THE LAST DINNER (The Lost Piece of a Broken little girl) | Anuoluwa Olusegun Soneye (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife)
• THE VISIT | Ibelachi Franklyn Chinedu (Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli)
• MICAH | Ogugua Micah Okoye (Enugu State University of Science and Technology Enugu)
• WAILING MOTHER | Oghenetega praise Offideh (University of Benin)
• AFRICA: A COMPENDIUM OF AFFLICTIONS | Hussani Abdulrahim (Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto)
• I RETURNED AND SAW UNDER THE SUN | Anthony Chukwuemeka Okpunor (University of Benin)
• SUICIDE WARNING SIGNS | Okpara Ugochukwu Damian (Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli)
• WHEN THE TABLE TURNS | Oladejo Oluwatosin (University of Lagos)
• TRANSFORMATION | Muhammed Sulaimon Abiodun (University of Ibadan)
According to Prof. Hulya N. Yilmaz, a member of the NSPP 2019 judging panel: “As in the years past, the judging process has been a true pleasure; for, each entrant has apparently composed poems with diligence. The outcome has been the bright shine of numerous poetic compositions of memorable content and attention-raising title choices.”
Instituted in 2016 to stimulate literary creativity and promote literary excellence, the prize has had three grand prize winners – Noah Oladele, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (2016), Bakre Fadil Adedamola, University of Ibadan (2017) and Godstime Tamunofiri Iberiyenari, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa (2018).
The prize winners of this current edition will be announced at the NSPP Awards slated for 6th July, 2019 at Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom
Moderator, NSPP 2019